Not the most exciting part of the process - but necessary
sydney wedding celebrant

Who Can Get Married?

Anyone over the age of 18 that is not currently married!  (Happily, same-sex marriage also became legal in Australia at the start of 2018.)

What Do You Need To Do To Get Married In Australia?

Whether you are an Australian resident, citizen or just visiting Australia, you need to go through the same legal procedure in order to get married here.  And I’m here to make it simple and easy for you.

Completing the Legals

Here’s what you need to do:

  • Fill out and sign a Notice of Intended Marriage at least one month before your wedding day.
  • If you’re not local to Sydney, bring your original documents with you when you travel (passports, divorce certs, etc).
  • Meet up with me for a cuppa and show me your docs.
  • Get married.
  • Leave the rest of the boring legal stuff to me.
  • Live happily ever after.

Supporting Documentation For Your NOIM

I need to see either your passport or your birth certificate as evidence of a your date and place of birth.  It is best to show me these when you give me your Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM), but you can show it to me any time before your wedding.

Don’t Have A Passport Or A Birth Certificate?

If you don’t hold a passport and cannot locate your birth certificate then I can accept an official extract of an entry in an official register showing your date and place of birth.

If that also is not possible then I will require a statutory declaration from you or one of your parents stating that:

  1. It is impracticable (this does not mean not practical or convenient; it means impossible) to obtain your official birth certificate or extract, and the reasons why, and that
  2. to the best of the declarant’s knowledge and belief and as accurately as the declarant has been able to ascertain, when and where the party was born.
If the document you show me as evidence of your date and place of birth doesn’t have your photo on it, then you need to show me at least one of the following documents with photo identification:

  • Your driver’s licence
  • A proof of age/photo card
  • Your passport or
  • A Certificate of Australian Citizenship along with another form of photographic evidence (eg. a student card or other photo identification not listed above).
If you have been married before you need to show me evidence of the end of your last marriage – the original divorce decree from the court or a death certificate if you’re a widow or widower.

Book A Zoom Chat With Meggan